Now that you have a newsreader (your Bloglines account), you can begin adding other newsfeeds that interest you. There are several ways you can locate newsfeeds:
- When visiting your favorite websites -- look for news feed icons that indicate the website provides it. Often a feed icon will be displayed somewhere in the navigation bar of the site. (Here's an image that contains a sampling of several feed icons).
- Use Blogline's Search tool - Bloglines recently expanded search tool lets you search for news feeds in addition to posts, citations and the web. Use the Search for Feeds option to locate RSS feeds you might be interested in.
Other Search tools that can help you find feeds:
- Feedster - One of the largest collections of RSS feeds, Feedster lets you search for feeds in three categories: news, blogs & podcasts
- Topix.net - This search tool allows you to locate recent newsfeed items based upon keyword or phrase searching. The tool focuses specifically on news and media outlet RSS feeds for information, not weblogs.
- Google Blog search - This is still in BETA mode, but appears to be a good search tool
- Technorati - Technorati is a popular blog finding tool that lets you search for blogs. Since RSS feeds are inherent to all blogging tools, Technorati Blog Search can help you find RSS feeds for topic specific blogs you may be interested in.
Additonal Resource: Technorati Tutorial on finding and adding your blog
- Explore some of the search tools noted above that can help you locate some news feeds.
- Create a blog post about your experience. Don't know what to blog about? Here are some questions to think about :
Which method of finding feeds did you find easiest to use? Which Search tool was the easiest for you? Which was more confusing? What kind of useful feeds did you find in your travels? Or what kind of unusual ones did you find? What other tools or ways did you find to locate newsfeeds?
Extra stuff to explore
Some of the databases your library subscribes to have RSS feed alerts.
Ebsco ANZ Reference Centre is an example of this.
To subscribe to a RSS feed for a specific journal using Ebsco
- Go to Ebsco ANZ Reference Centre
- Click on NEW FEATURES
- From this screen tick the ALERTS box. This will embed an RSS icon against the publications list
- Find a journal your would like to subscribe to (eg Australian Library Journal)
- Follow the instructions to put RSS feed into your bloglines account
You may like to explore what other databases have a similar feature.